Things are going well here. Today we took a ride to the countryside, which is about 30 minutes outside Nanchang. We drove to a small village and it was amazing. There was no running water, we saw pumps. Chickens, ducks and dogs were running about. There appeared to be sewage running down the streets, but I'm not sure. The people there were amazing. The longer we walked the more people came up to see us. There were so many children. Arlene started taking their pictures and showing them. They loved it and started pushing each other out of the way so she could take their pictures. Some of the older children started throwing firecrackers and that scared some of the babies and Grace. I took her back to the bus and missed all the interesting stuff. An elderly woman invited the group into her home. Arlene got it all on tape. When you see how some people live, you realize how truly blessed we are to live in the USA and have all that we have.
After the countryside, we went shopping. We got great bargains. I bought three church dresses for Grace, the most expensive being $6! I got Kate a gorgeous silk dress for 100 yuan, or $12. The girls also got some shoes. I also got a piece of silk for Kate to frame, just like I did for Grace. After we went to McDonald's for lunch and walked on a pedestrian shopping street, where we were the center of attention for a lot of people.
For dinner, we braved the restaurant alone, armed with our list of what we wanted spelled out in Chinese. We did great. Kate 1/2 a plate of steamed egg and lots of rice and some dumplings. The dumplings we have had here have ruined all dumplings for us forever. We had 2 large entree's, three bowls of rice, the steamed egg dish, watermelon, 2 waters and a Coke for the grand sum of about $7. We met a very nice man who spoke great English and when he asked us where in the US we were from, sang us part of John Denver's 'Country Road, Take Me Home'. But then he said, that was West Virginia, that's west of Virginina right?! I think he was better as US geography than I am. We also got to use the squatty potty and see the turtles, crabs and fish for dinner choices. What a great experience.
Tomorrow we are going to the porcelain shop. We just found out we can take two suitcases each but they can't be more than 44lbs. We won't make the 44 lbs part, but as a group we may not have to pay the overweight fees!
Hope all is well at home. Sorry no pics this time, I'm posting from the business center and I can't do pictures down here. Tomorrow I'll try to post from Evelyn's computer.
Thursday, June 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Bubbe: How awsome to see all those things. I emailed your friend if she doesn't have that jumper, I will get one nothing too good for my granddaughter. Grace I MISS you I will be at the airport with a vanilla milk from Starbucks. Did you get a beautiful dress for Grace to wear to the christening? I would liek a mandrin jacket like you friend from HRCC has cotton not silk. I can't wait to see you love Bubbe
Nancy just emailed me, she has a activity center and is bringing it Sat. I will clean it up good. I hope you can read this. I will not be home tonight, dr at 6 and knitting group at 7 leave a message on the machine to tell me if you get these messages Love to my beautiful Grace and hair kisses. Bubbe
Hello Grace, Kate Kristy and Arlene.
Enjoyed reading your entries. I love the picture of Grace holding Kate. Grace, you are going to be such a great big sister. Eric is looking forwward to meeting his new sister. We miss you guys. Valeria
Hi Kristy, Arlene, Grace, and Kate! Your blog is great - I have been following along to see what you have been up to! Glad that Kate is feeling better. I love the picture of Kate and Grace - especially the one with Grace holding Kate. You have two BEAUTIFUL daughters!! Looks like there will be loads of stuff to scrapbook. (Hey, also love the idea of all the beads - can't wait for us to make jewelry!!) Have fun - see you on Saturday! Karen
Post a Comment